[arch-projects] [devtools] License question

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 25 08:43:27 EDT 2014

At Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:06:54 +0100,
Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 25.03.2014 05:17, schrieb Luke T. Shumaker:
> > However, I would *really* appreciate it if common.sh were licensed as
> > GPLv2+ (with the "at your option, any later version" bit).
> >
> > I realize that because of having many contributors, possibly without
> > copyright assignment/delegation, this may be a tricky question to
> > answer.  Whatever response you can give me would be much appreciated.
>
> common.sh specifically has 4 contributors.

The problem with that is that most of common.sh didn't originate in
devtools.git.  Pierre got at least the message functions from
somewhere else* in his 2011 commit--the commit message sounds like it
was just consolidating code from the other files, but it was mostly
replacing `echo` and whatnot.

My first guess was makepkg, but makepkg doesn't have stat_{busy,done},
which weren't used by anything in devtools, which makes mes skeptical
that Pierre wrote them right then.  My next thought was
initscripts.git/functions or dbscripts.git/db-functions; but
initscripts' stat_* look way different, and dbscripts doesn't have
stat_* either.

Thanks,
~ Luke Shumaker