[arch-projects] [archweb] Licensing issues with JS code

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Thu Aug 10 18:44:40 UTC 2017

On 07/17/17 at 09:00am, Adonay Felipe Nogueira via arch-projects wrote:
> Indeed. things under GPL 2 (notice the lack of "+"/"or later") can't
> adapt/depend on things under GPL 3.
>
> Things under both GPL 2 and its "+"/"or later" version can't
> adapt/depend on things under Apache 2.0. However, things under GPL 3 and
> its "+"/"or later" version can.

I'm not fond of moving to GPLv3, first off, we'd have to ask all
contributors to agree to it right?

But something I can see do-able, is moving away from
bootstrap-typeahead.js to horsey which is MIT licensed. [1]

> - "visualize/static/visualize.js" is licensed under GNU GPL 2 (assumed to be "only" because the license notice in the file doesn't tell if there is an upgrade possibility).

This is part of archweb, so GPLv2

[1] https://github.com/bevacqua/horsey

--
Jelle van der Waa