[arch-projects] [netctl] news draft

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:10:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 7:57 PM Eli Schwartz via arch-projects
<arch-projects at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 08/03/2018 01:48 PM, Jouke Witteveen via arch-projects wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I cannot send to arch-dev-public and don't know where to post this
> > otherwise, so I'll just put this out here.
> >
> > With systemd 239, a deprecation message is printed in the journal for
> > enabled netctl profiles (FS#59494). This currently has no effect on
> > the functionality of either systemd or netctl. Nevertheless, the next
> > version of netctl, which is not yet released, will move away from the
> > deprecated features. However, the warnings are caused by unit files
> > generated by netctl, so an update will not simply make the warnings go
> > away.
> > Here is a draft for a news post to accompany the next version of
> > netctl down the line.
> >
> > Regards,
> > - Jouke
> > ----
> > Title: netctl 1.18 may require manual intervention

> > systemd units, netctl has modified its unit management. This change
> > only affects individually enabled netctl profiles. To use the new
> > management scheme, all enabled profiles must be reenabled after
> > updating netctl. This can be done through `netctl reenable <profile>`.
> > No action is needed for the automatic netctl services.
>
> Why would it need manual intervention? Does netctl not work if you use
> the old format? From systemd's side, the whole reason it is a
> deprecation warning is because it will continue to work for some time
> until they finally ditch it entirely.
>
> I would assume that existing netctl profiles which aren't reenabled
> would continue to successfully use the old, deprecated unit files?

Indeed, I expect the generated units to continue to work for a little
longer, but at https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/8530 there is
already a suggestion to proceed the deprecation further. I think it is
nice to tell people what to do if they are bothered by the deprecation
warning in their logs. Maybe in a different wording, stressing that
nothing will break (for now) if you don't reenable your profiles?

Regards,
- Jouke