[arch-projects] [devtools] [GIT] The official devtools repository branch master updated. 20191016-20-g4c803b9

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 2 07:03:05 UTC 2019

On 11/30/19 7:31 AM, Levente Polyak via arch-projects wrote:

Generally some nice improvements, but what is the deal with this???

> commit 104c5bc90e259028f5c9352a32f8976aa0f95a8d
> Author: Levente Polyak <anthraxx at archlinux.org>
> Date:   Sat Nov 30 13:13:49 2019 +0100
>
>     makechrootpkg: sync database for checkpkg to avoid nonexistent targets
>
>     For build servers or similar infrastructure its relatively common to not
>     sync/update the database regularly. This leads to problems properly
>     running checkpkg duo to nonexistent target files that we try to
>     download. As building on build servers is a very common use case, lets
>     ensure we sync the local database before trying to resolve the package
>     locations.

This commit means that devtools is not suitable for installation on any
archlinux system (including the systems owned and maintained by
Developers and Trusted Users) other than the single build server which
you've declared to be a common, yet not exclusive, use case of devtools.

One can solve the problem with outdated databases by regularly updating,
or by having dragon.archlinux.org do a periodic pacman -Sy and relying
on devops to not break the box by using pacman -S without -u.

Devtools is now a direct cause of noncompliance with
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported,
and this will affect both users who follow the recommended best
practices to build/test AUR packages using extra-x86_64-build, as well
as Developers and Trusted Users who prefer to build on their own
hardware, but do not expect running extra-x86_64-build to sneakily
modify their pacman database out from under them.

Please revert.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User