[arch-projects] [devtools] conf files could be closer to pacman's

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 7 17:29:29 UTC 2019

On 2/7/19 6:17 AM, james harvey via arch-projects wrote:
> It could be worth a developer diff'ing:
> * pacman::makepkg.conf and devtools::makepkg-x86_64.conf
> * pacman::pacman.conf and devtools::pacman*.conf
>
> When trying to figure out my /etc/ vs /usr/share/devtools/ confusion
> with MAKEFLAGS, I saw these differ in more areas than I would have
> expected.
>
> I don't know if any of the differences matter in the end, but I think
> it's nice they almost match, and I think it would be nicer if they
> only differ in areas where they need to.
>
> They probably used to match better, and diverged in a few areas where
> they didn't need to.

The conf files in question do not get synced as frequently as pacman
updates them. :) it's essentially a pristine copy of the unmodified
makepkg.conf from the pacman package, and should never differ.

> Some of the differences are certainly nitpicky.  pacman just dropped
> "-fstack-protector-strong" since it's enabled by default.
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54736
>
> Others might matter in some situations, like different options on
> DLAGENTS.  (I'm assuming it's right to have file:// missing from
> devtools, talkinga bout the curl options.)

Huh, I was trying to think if this matters, since makechrootpkg
explicitly verifies sources outside the chroot, but it does so by
calling makepkg --config $copydir/etc/makepkg.conf

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User