[arch-projects] [devtools] uses MAKEFLAGS (+others) from /etc/makepkg.conf not /usr/share/devtools/

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Feb 8 01:49:03 UTC 2019

On 2/7/19 8:00 PM, james harvey via arch-projects wrote:
> I guess I'm abusing devtools a bit, as a few others are.  I use
> devtools to build modified official packages when necessary, and to
> build AUR packages even if they depend on other AUR packages.  I add a
> local repository to "/usr/share/devtools/pacman-extra.conf", and to
> /etc/pacman.conf as a CacheDir so it is bind mounted.  I also add to
> "COMPRESSXZ" "--threads=0" to
> "/usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf".
>
> Maybe others using devtools similarly are using a customized version
> of archbuild using its own pacman and makepkg conf files, which is
> what I used to do.  I stopped so when devtools updates its conf files,
> it would overwrite my changes and I'd just add them back in.
> Otherwise, I might miss merging changes into mine.

You can override pacman.conf much more simply.

sudo cp /usr/share/devtools/pacman-{extra,myrepo}.conf
sudoedit /usr/share/devtools/pacman-myrepo.conf
sudo ln -s archbuild /usr/bin/myrepo-x86_64-build

Then build packages using `myrepo-x86_64-build`, and instead of building
against the "extra" target, you will be building against the "myrepo"
target.

Changing makepkg.conf is usually somewhat questionable. What's the goal
-- changing COMPRESSXZ seems rather wasteful since you could just set
PKGEXT='.pkg.tar' and not compress at all, if you're worried about how
long it takes.

> Or, maybe they run mkarchroot/arch-nspawn/makechrootpkg directly.

Using makechrootpkg sounds like an excellent idea. The purpose of
archbuild is to provide presets for makechrootpkg and to run mkarchroot
automatically for you on demand, but you explicitly don't want those
presets, so... why? Why use it?

The only thing that keeps on rewriting your makepkg.conf inside the
chroot, is archbuild. Just create a bashrc:

alias chrootbuild="makechrootpkg -r /var/lib/archbuild/myrepo-x86_64"

and you're reimplemented the most significant part of every devtools
wrapper ever.

> Or, maybe they use graysky2's clean-chroot-manager, which I haven't
> looked at yet.

Basically the alias except it also tries to do complex magic with distcc.

> It still seems odd to me for "/usr/share/devtools/*.conf" to show
> variables that are never read from it, and personally would replace
> those with a comment referring to /etc/makepkg.conf, but I respect if
> the answer is that I shouldn't have been confused because I shouldn't
> have been looking at them in the first place.

It's perfectly possible to "arch-nspawn -M /etc/makepkg.conf" and
install your regular makepkg.conf into the chroot, and if that happens
then you also have things being ignored. /etc/makepkg.conf will be
*overridden* by $HOME/.config/pacman/makepkg.conf, and makechrootpkg
will likewise be *overridden* by these variables.

I don't see the benefit of creating differences between the
devtools/makepkg.conf and the one that comes as stock in pacman, just
for this.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User