[arch-releng] Make RC images more public?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Aug 2 12:09:27 EDT 2009

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:04:33 +0200
Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> according to our time plan we would build the RC images tomorrow.
>
> Should we announce these RC images more public than only here on the ML?
> This means on the bbs.
> One problem doing this is the download by interested people. We could
> IMHO not push all this images over our normal mirrors (this would harm
> them to go out of sync).
>
> A alternative is download with torrents (were sigurd could be the
> tracker and also a feeder).
> Therefor we could build for the RC-testing only 4 images:
> core.iso/.img for i686 and x86_64 = 4 images.
>
> Public testing may give uns more feedback than we have it with our
> alpha/beta images (which were very few...)
>
> Your opinions?
>
> Gerhard

You're right.  The response we had on our 2009.08-alpha/beta images was quite disappointing.
I attempted to get more interest but failed. (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=76769, 0 interested people).  Maybe I didn't post in the right section.
On one hand I think we did a good job testing a lot ourselves and have a better image then all the old iso's.  But OTOH there are always things we look over and other people can see immediately.

Not sure about what we should do though