[arch-releng] 2009.08 release announcement draft

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Aug 9 04:43:38 EDT 2009

* added Gerhard's changes
* add link to download section.  I guess that's pretty important too ;)
* line6: sed 's/including/which includes/'
* filled in link to ticket about grub booting problem
* made better hyperlinks everywhere + link to 2009.02 when mentioning it at the end

Hello Arch community,

We hereby present you the 2009.08 snapshot images

These images are the first fruits of our new arch-releng build environment on the sevenL server.
They are built from a current snapshot of core, which includes kernel 2.6.30.4-1, udev 141-5 and pacman 3.3.0-2.

Changes compared to 2009.02:
- more up-to-date software (see above)
- usage of new AIF installer, which brings:
  * better disk editor with support for dm_crypt and lvm setups
  * support for automated installations using config files (deprecates quickinst)
  * a framework to build your own installation procedures
  * better date/time setting with ntp support
  * refactored grub installation routines
  * usability improvements
- aufs instead of unionfs
- enhanced boot device detection on image start
- ftp images are renamed to netinstall to avoid confusion
- bugfixes (xfs freeze, mirror setting, clock correctness, network settings, ...)
- and much more...

detailed package list and additional snapshot information</a>

As you can see, just like with <a href="http://www.archlinux.org/news/434/>2009.02</a> there have been some huge changes.
We should be more settled now and hopefully it will be more straightforward to build snapshots in the future.
Time will tell ;-).

As usual, the images come in iso and img flavors, with grub and isolinux for people <a href="http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11408">whose cd-rom drive doesn't work with grub</a>
Due to all mentioned changes, the <a href="http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide">installation guide</a> has also been overhauled.
The new guide is for now only available in English but we'll add other versions when we receive translated versions.