[arch-releng] releases, snapshots and semantics

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 10:38:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:22:02 +0200
> Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

>> >  of simple, but clear ways to phrase this and I think it's best to make
>> >  the images a separate project with a special name. > for example we
>> >  could call this project "ALIMG" or something (Arch Linux images) and
>> >  then talk (news items) about new ALIMG releases.  ALIMG 2009.08 etc.
>> >
>> > Let's just call it "Arch Live 2009.12" or so then. It is a live system
>> > and contains AIF, which we will mention in the announce anyway.
>> >

>> I would leave all as it is... YYYY.MM snapshots
>>
>> a) we don't make images for the press
>> b) the few user who will get confused will get a answer on bbs etc. They
>> don't will ask this again.
>>
>> Realy, i don't see the need that we make us a problem with this...
>>
>> Gerhard
>>

> Actually, the more I think about it, the more it just makes sense.
> The images we create are not "Arch Linux".  They are a project on itself, based on arch linux.
> Even if you don't consider the semantic/press discussion, it is weird to me to have a very specific project, but no name for it.
>
> And yes, I do consider the press.
> I think if we can improve (as in: make it more acurate) the picture they draw of us towards (new) people, we should.
> I think media plays a big role.  See how many places talk about the "arch linux 2009.08 release"
> http://www.google.be/search?q=arch+linux+2009.08+release

This comes down to a difference in opinion, which is by no means a bad
thing, but I think is good to point out.

Most of the "old" developers are a lot less worried about our public
image, and a lot more worried about providing a good distro that fits
their needs. You have a different perspective than a lot of us- let's
try and ensure our image matches what we say we provide.

At the end of the day, the developers are going to continue to strive
to put out a good product, and you are going to continue to try to
make a good installer for that product. Details aside, I think we all
agree this is a good thing. The difference might lie in the fact that
you are making it a point to attract some new people, and us old guys
could care less- we're more of the philosophy that people find Arch,
rather than it finding them.

Now I'm blathering on here. As long as we don't call it ALIWQIEHIOH or
some other absurd acronym, I don't have a strong opinion, but I just
wanted to make sure we seeing the different perspectives here.

-Dan