[arch-releng] 2009.02 name ideas

Gerhard Brauer gerbra at archlinux.de
Fri Feb 6 09:07:43 EST 2009

Am Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:10:56 +0100
schrieb Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:37:49 -0600
> Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What are your arguments against putting codenames "on" the iso's?
> hard to implement cleanly/maintain ?

IMHO yes. We have had this on the December 2008 ISOs (and there only on
the isolinux splash msg-files). Text in this messages files are (for
color things) escaped by control code, so editing in some editors could
completely break them.
On grub we have never used (iso) version numbers or codenames.
On /etc/issue (in the LiveCD) AFAIK we used it last on Overlord (and
the FrosCon).
So we have to automate this to put the correct versions/codenames in
several files. And this is something which would get forgotten often
IMHO - so all laugh at us when in 2019 the ISOs tell: I'm 2009.04...

I'm now (after thinking and reading the mails) against any "branding"
the ISOs/Images. **Only** in /arch directory and in the iso9660
structure (where the sqfs files live) i like to see a release version
scheme like 2009.02-1 - only to identify the ISO (if one have a problem
to install so we could ask in forums etc: Do you use the latest ISO?
Uh, how can i check this? Look at: cat /arch/release or mount the ISO
and do a: cat /media/cd/release.

I agree with Aaron that we demonstrate the Arch "rolling release"
better when we don't use any things that offers somewhat: Hey, they
have releases...

So:	-1 for versions/codenames in any splash or message file
	+1 for putting the release month/revision in above mentioned
	text files (if we automate this).

> Dieter

Gerhard