[arch-releng] [arch-dev-public] Official Installation guide needs your help!

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 17:22:37 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 03:33:49PM -0500, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> Drop the official install guide.
>
> We know our wiki is well-maintained and well organized, and it seems
> to do that by itself without much developer interference. Go wiki!
> Originally, when we first set the wiki up Dennis, Judd, and I felt
> that the official install guide should be more... well... official.
> But its out of date, its always out of date, and there are wiki texts
> that are not out of date. Now, seeing how our wiki experiment has
> exceeded our hopes and expectations,  I'd say that the install guide
> (drop the 'official') should be community maintained as are all our
> wiki pages. It will improve. When its time for a release, "somebody
> official" should read through it, ensure its accurate, convert it to
> plaintext and put it on the iso.

I really don't think that would work.
The official install guide should be brief really. Only guiding the user
to install, set up a network connection and understand pacman usage so
more packages can be installed.

The fact that the Beginner's guide exists shows that users will start to
stick everything under the sun that suits them.