[arch-releng] release vs snapshot terminology (was: Arch Linux release in the press)

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:54:58 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 08:19:59PM +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> I don't care whether some news reporter uses the word release or
> snapshot, as long as our _users_ know how we work.
> Imho we should just make it clear in several places (eg download page,
> beginners guide etc), so we can keep using the word "release".
> (are really that many users confused now? I have no insight on that)
>

> Sure we have a rolling release model, but still our isos/img's are
> definitely not "just" a snapshot:
> - they are planned
> - we work "towards" them and provide support afterwards
> - we do a core freeze a while before, and during the release.
> - they are carefully tested.
> - we time releases of other packages/tools to "fit" in the iso
>   release scheme (eg installer)
> - ...
>

> Imho the word "snapshot" doesn't do much justice to our images and
> makes it sound like just that, a snapshot.  Most likely if we start
> using the word "snapshot" people new to Arch might be more hesitant to
> try it out because it doesn't sound like something well
> tested/engineered/supported.  Which may be a bigger problem then what
> we have now.  Think about it.

I don't really see anything bad about that. Does it mean that novice
users will try to learn more about Linux in general before trying Arch?

Even though there is a core 'chilling', the packages that are included
are still a snapshot.

What you're distributing are Arch Linux system images with
installation helper and core packages snapshot.

The system is a snapshot, the packages are, and so might the
installation helper be. I think snapshot is a very fitting term.