[arch-releng] size of the "display" (framebuffer?) on our images

Michael Simpson michael at abstract.fm
Thu Feb 19 11:01:18 EST 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Loui Chang wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:52:17PM +0100, Gerhard Brauer wrote:
>> For us maybe a grub entry with parameter vga=ask is the best, so
>> users
>> could select their resolution.
>> But IMHO we should "design" our bash dialogs in a way that they
>> also be
>> usable on a normal 80x25 console..
>
> Yeah I agree we should design things to fit within 80 columns.
> I find longer lines are generally harder to read and edit than shorter
> lines as well.

I think we may be overlooking the real issue.

If anyone is familiar with genkernel (gentoo kernel building tool) I'm
almost certain you are able to scroll left and right when selecting
options. I will scour for the example I'm thinking of and see if I can
turn anything up. Modifying the field to behave this way would
effectively resolve Dieter's primary concern separating the text
overflow from the issue of resolution. And indeed, I see these as
being two explicitly different items. Dan McGee's point of netbooks is
valid and IMHO should not be taken lightly- there are an increasing
number of people interested in using linux on low resolution/obscure
devices. Personally, I think it's great and should be encouraged
instead of discouraged.

I think any sort of character limitation should be very carefully
considered. Things should be designed to scale gracefully by means of
a solid interface not by designing things to fit in 80 columns or any
other fixed number.

Resolution selection would be a nice bonus feature, I have worries
that allowing a slew of different resolutions will introduce issues we
don't yet foresee but they are based on nothing but cynicism. The more
I am thinking about it, I feel strongly that an installer "style-
guide" based on a certain size is inherently flawed. Both of these
mask the underlying design issue though which is that the fields are
not flexible enough to handle more than X characters.

These problems have been dealt with, there are valuable precedents
which, as I said, I will certainly dig deeper if other's would like me
to I'll find the gentoo menus I was talking about and sift their
source a bit. I'll look into some screenshots/screencast this evening
if someone asks for them.

Kind regards,

Michael
.mgs`