[arch-releng] Bittorrent with webseeds

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:18:15 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:03:57AM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Freitag 23 Januar 2009 18:46:49 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > Yes, on one condition - if you do the generation and tracker uploads
> > of the torrent files. I did it once and it was a big pain. :)
>
> I can do it (I did it several times before). But: I cannot do it before Monday
> evening and it's usefull to setup the torrents at least one day before the
> announcement.

Sorry for quoting the wrong part of the discussion, but does anyone have
any knowledge regarding creation of torrent trackers?
IMO it would be preferable to distribute ALL ISOs/IMGs even the
alpha/betas using torrents with the least server load as possible.
Many distributions have small torrent trackers set up. Maybe its time to
have that in Arch too. Especially since theres an Official Release Team now,
which plans on providing as much as possible frequent updates.
FTR i had suggested the same thing around 2 years ago, but the
discussion didnt lead anywhere. Maybe things are more mature now.
Im pretty sure that its not so difficult to set up.

Greg