[arch-releng] Grub and ext4, error 2

Jordy van Wolferen jordz at archlinux.us
Tue Jan 27 08:43:36 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Am Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:14:11 +0100
> schrieb Jordy van Wolferen <jordz at archlinux.us>:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Aaron Griffin
> > <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>wrote:

> No, i have seen no problems on my test installations when using the
> current versions (grub from core and grub-gfx from community). Both are
> on the same patch-level (bigger inode size patch and ext4 support
> patch).
>
> > I just tried doing the same ftp install with ext3 and I still got the
> > same error. Also the same error with a ext4 core install. So it must
> > be something from my side.
>
> Stage 1.5 (resp. Stage 2 error 2): Aaron posted a link on error codes
> where this error code is "Selected disk doesn't exist", on gnu.org
> grub site it says: "2 : Bad file or directory type".
> Have you ever had installed Arch and Grub on this system? So that you
> can say: this error is only on a new installation with the new isos?
>
> > I tried to change the root setting in grub and the kernel
> > root=/dev/sda1 parameter, instead of the UUID, but I still got the
> > same problem.
>
> Maybe you could show us your disk(s) layout (fdisk -l) and grub's
> menu.lst (and the content of /boot/grub/device.map.
>
> Gerhard

I installed Arch a couple of times on it before. I remember that I needed to
change root (hd0,0) to (hd1,0) or the other way around. Or that it can't
load the kernel, but than you can edit the grub entries or ofcourse remove
the other harddisk. But now it doesn't work and I never have seen the grub
error 2. Grub from Arch was running fine a few days ago.

I tried disabling IDE in the bios after an installation, without success.
I'm going to try to do that before the installation. It has something to do
that I have both IDE and SATA .

I found some info here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/7137
I'm going to try that. What just hit me, is that I flashed my bios about
half a year ago, but after that it kept booting fine? Must be that now is
the first time I tried installing grub with the new bios. I don't think
there is something wrong with the new ISOs.