[arch-releng] Grub and ext4, error 2

Jordy van Wolferen jordz at archlinux.us
Tue Jan 27 15:30:23 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 13:42 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Jordy van Wolferen <jordz at archlinux.us> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Alexander De Sousa <aphanic at archlinux.us>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry for replying this late, but I couldn't access inet this morning.
> >>
> >> I've performed more fresh installs and all tests passed for an ext4 boot
> >> partition. Everything seems to be ok.

> > I noticed today that my MBR doesn't get a fresh new grub install. I did a
> > "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1" and it stays empty, grub never
> > kicks in. That maybe explain the grub 2 error. I also saw in the install cd
> > that grub gave me an error message that it can't read the stage1 file. I
> > tried installing grub manually but I got the same problem.
>

> Weird. We used to use a different grub command in install the
> bootloader, but we changed it due to issues with ext4. It is possible
> that the original command was done in such a way because of failures
> like this.
>
> Here's the change:
> http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=installer.git;a=commitdiff;h=4565577dbd2182dd49612f1e0b68288f5573bf7b
>
> Could you check if the old way works for you?

The old method works for me, now I can install grub! Only the bad thing
is, I'm still getting error 2. I installed ubuntu for testing grub on
the other IDE drive and I can bootup Arch from there. The grub from
ubuntu is installed in /dev/sda.

Now I got
/dev/sda2 ubuntu
(the rest on this disk is unformatted)

/dev/sdb1 /boot (ext2)
/dev/sdb2 swap
/dev/sdb3 / (ext4)
/dev/sdb4 /home (ext4)

I installed grub (from Arch) on /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 (for booting from
the ubuntu grub).

Grub config I made in Ubuntu:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb3 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

Thats the same as the Arch one (only with UUID).
Now I'm really wondering where something is wrong..