[arch-releng] Grub2 on the ISO?

Gerhard Brauer gerbra at archlinux.de
Tue Jan 27 18:36:32 EST 2009

Am Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:04:09 -0600
schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

> Is the any reason to not include grub2 on the install ISO, for those
> that wish to try it out? Does anyone think we might be pushing it too
> much seeing as it's still beta status?

I tried it at 12/2008 as a alternative to grub (or isolinux) and found
it - hmmm - broken. AFAIK i used the version from extra. It doesn't see
any harddrive in my real PCs, but worked in virtualbox. That was the
point where i said to myself - better isolinux than grub. I mean this
from the point of an install iso bootloader...

And grub2 conflicts with grub - so we could not have both "installed"
in the live-cd enviroment - or we must modify the packages.
If one absolutely needs grub2 in the install process - then IMHO he
should download (and maybe -force it) like any other package not on the
iso.

I think it's not in the state to work as a iso bootloader. If one
wan'ts grub2 it should be installed after installation.

Gerhard's 2¢