[arch-releng] Dep cycles in core and 2009.01

Gerhard Brauer gerbra at archlinux.de
Sat Jan 31 07:43:38 EST 2009

Am Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:16:57 -0200
schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar>:

> Ooohh! The grub-gfx installed at root-image-fs (x86_64) is the
> grub-gfx-0.97-7 (latest from community) and in i686 is 0.97-11.
> I tested compiling the grub-gfx for x86_84 sync to -11 version. copied
> with scp to installCD , pacman -U grub-gfx-0.97-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
>
> And install grub like /arch/setup and now WORKS :)

Hmm, i looked how we call it in the installer, and it is:
$DESTDIR/sbin/grub-install --recheck --root-directory=$DESTDIR $ROOTDEV
>/tmp/grub.log 2>&1
DESTDIR is alread /mnt, so you never make use of grub-gfx in this part
of the installer if your base installation have grub installed.

grub-gfx is only the bootloader on the Live-CD part of the ISO. On the
installation system you should always get grub from core (package
installation has not the ability to install grub-gfx to /mnt).

Thinking further (my first reply to your mail was written with fewer
coffees <g>): If you ran into this problem all testers of x86_64
iso/images should have the same problem. But i don't see other reports
(But seems that only you tested the x86_64 versions...)
Could please test some other the x86_64 ISOs and confirm that we have a
problem there with grub?

Gerhard