[arch-releng] Official Arch Linux Install Guide changes caused by 2009.08

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Jul 23 14:06:19 EDT 2009

Hi all,
the Official Arch Linux Install Guide ( http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide )
will need to be changed in various places because 2009.08 will use AIF and no longer archlinux-installer, which differ in various aspects.

There are the IMHO following requirements:
- current content should not be tampered with, so people who install 2009.02 now or in a few weeks have the correct guide
- also after 2009.08 is released, the current guide should probably stay available (maybe under a different name "deprecated"?) for users who still use older discs
- by the time 2009.08 is out, the documentation must match it, so we should start working on new documenation now.

What I suggest is:
- to copy the current page to a "new guide". the new guide gets a note it's only valid for 2009.08 and onwards. the current guide gets a note that says it's only valid until 2009.02
- when 2009.08 is released, I would rename the current page to add "deprecated" or "old" to it.  and put the new guide in it's place.
  (afaik you can't rename pages in wiki's so basically it would mean "copy paste all content to the other")

I know AIF best so I would take the lead in doing (most of) the required documentation changes.

1) Is this a good proposal?
2) I can't do any of the other languages, could translators pitch in?
3) I currently have no write access to the install guide (I seem to have no administrator privileges).
4) What would be the best practice for me getting started on the new content, allowing others to contribute but not to ruin my work?  Lock the new page and have people email me with corrections?