[arch-releng] Improve image detection on boot time

Gerhard Brauer gerbra at archlinux.de
Sat Jul 25 06:06:13 EDT 2009

Am Samstag, den 25.07.2009, 11:50 +0200 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Gerhard Brauer schrieb:
> > Yes, i'm currently testing...
> > (First ISO boots fine, i wonder why the generated label is only
> > "ARCHISO_", then i saw that i have no pwgen on my machine ;-)
> > Something for the depends of archiso PKGBUILD...
> > But the build iso boots fine with ARCHISO_ label...
>
> pwgen was the easiest way, install extra/pwgen.

Yes, i know ;-)

Ok, ISO build and boots fine in virtualbox.
I test now the usb image, have to reboot...

Something to discuss (Thomas and myself are not common here):
The patch from Thomas use a absolut unique label on each ISO/Img build.
His argument was: We must make absolut sure that only the archiso image
gets mounted/detected. The pwgen methode has rhe advantage that realy
each image (i686,x86_64, core/netinstall, grub/isolinux has it's own
label.

My argument is: We don't need a pwgen generated label, IMHO it's enough
to label the images by the current snapshot version, ex: ARCHISO-2009.08
This also has the clue that the image is nice identified if automounted
on normal system or whatever...
Maybe (not sure, not tested) we have a problem if user has 2 CDs or CD
and USB-Stick in PC during boot, but IMHO this is absolute rare...

I don't want this a long discussion, Thomas patch works and i could live
with...

Gerhard