[arch-releng] building 2.6.30 iso's

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Jun 15 15:17:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:30:25 +0200
Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:00:22 +0200
> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Dieter Plaetinck schrieb:
> > > Hmm my work/root-image/etc/pacman.conf looks quite sane.
> > > http://pastebin.ca/1461273
> > >
> > > good thing mkarchiso is only 315 lines.  i'll poke around a bit.
> >
> > How sane does the mirrorlist look? Which one does it use anyway? It
> > looks like "/core.db.tar.gz" is the whole URL, so there must be
> > something like an empty Server entry.
> >

> Heh.
>
> egrep -v '^#|^$' root-image/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
> -> 0 lines.
>
> egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
> Server = ftp://mir1.archlinuxfr.org/archlinux/$repo/os/i686
> (...)

Okay, here's the deal (thanks Aaron for the help):
packages.list contains pacman. pacman depends on pacman-mirrorlist.
pacman-mirrorlist contains /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.
So when you're building the iso, it will install all the packages
listed and their deps. that includes pacman-mirrorlist.
the default mirrorlist file now only contains commented-out entries
(this has been introduced recently, Aaron told me)
When building the images, an overlay is used.  the overlay contains a
mirrorlist file with some commented out entries (good), but apparently
this gets undone by the package.

Now, you have to know that apparently the mirrorlist file used during
package building == mirror list file ending up on the livecd, eg the
one you'll see at runtime when having the image booted.

I have now tried this quick hack:
in mkarchiso, after:
_pacman "${PKGLIST}"
put:
cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist "${work_dir}/root-image/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist"

but the error stayed exactly the same.
stay tuned while i figure this out :)