[arch-releng] new release images?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:10:33 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> how do you feel about working again on some new images? for the
> upcoming 2.6.32 kernel?
> I personally wouldn't like to invest as much time as the previous
> times, but for 2009.08 Gerhard and i have done a lot of
> "infrastructure" & "process" work of which we should now feel the
> benefits: building new images should be smoother.
>
> So I would suggest to start working on new images in which we fix the
> biggest issues from last time, and add some useful features (such as
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13213 and/or
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10753)
>
> I've been to build.archlinux.org again to check out the state of our
> chroots, but I wondered: can i safely upgrade all packages (including
> kernel stuff)? what's the state of archiso? did we do any manual
> modifications to scripts such as archiso? should I install archiso from
> git (master) or is there a new package? Maybe we should just put
> an archiso git checkout in /home/archiso because it will keep on
> getting improvements anyway.  Anything else I'm forgetting before we can
> start to actually build images in the chroot?
>
> Also, Gerardo has been doing great work on our bugtracker and many nice
> patches for archiso, and he will gladly help us out.

I'm actually very interested in the syslinux switch right now. If at
all possible, I'd like to switch to this for the next images.

Can we get some more input here:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13213

In summary - if we switch to using syslinux completely (get rid of
grub) we can then use isohybrid to create an iso image that can still
boot from a usb drive. That means we only need to build two ISOs for
each architecture.

We still have the nice UI too:
http://imgur.com/GbvHo