[arch-releng] Patch request for "Official Arch Linux Install Guide" in wiki

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 11:53:57 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:48:27 +0200
> Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Freitag 02 Oktober 2009 10:18:50 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
>> > So in practice, do our binaries run on k6 and c3 cpus or not?
>>
>> Funny, did not know that cmov was optional; though I don't get the
>> point of an optional instruction anyway. However: everything below
>> Athlon or Pentium Por does not work with what we call i686.
>>

> so i will add a note that we are technically not i686, but we are
>  i686 that uses the cmov instruction because we use gcc i686
> optimisations. this is why we don't support the k6-2 and k6-3.
> right?

Meh, we're i686 if you use the GCC definition of i686, which is all
most people care about. I wouldn't confuse the official install guide
too much, as it's targeted at new users.

Via C3 is another one that's commonly thought of as i686 and is not
(in gcc terminology). I actually used to own a Via C3 laptop :)