[arch-releng] 2010.04.05 snapshots ready for testing

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 16 11:05:26 EDT 2010

Am 16.04.2010 16:53, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> Hm? I added my network to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, and ran
> wpa_supplicant -Dwext -something something something and the dhcpcd
> wlan0, and everything worked as expected. I'm not sure what you're
> talking about here

You did so _manually_. So basically you launched wpa_supplicant, waited
until it associated (or waited some time in the hope association would
be quick) and then ran dhcpcd.

If you want to use wireless on a daily basis, automating that process is
a necesity. I worked on that with autowifi and recently ported
everything I did over to netcfg-auto-wireless.

Autowifi actually works by configuring wpa_supplicant manually like you
suggest, but I deprecated that in favor of the more intuitive
configuration via network profiles that is now used in net-auto-wireless.

What I am saying is, you cannot just launch wpa_supplicant and then
dhcpcd and expect it to work without further regard for connections
being established and lost, wireless networks being changed and so on.
We should encourage users to use these mechanisms  implemented in netcfg
already during the installation - that is why I want to encourage them
to create netcfg profiles during installation. If a user insists on
messing with wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd manually, then (s)he can do so,
but it's not necessary to add this to the installer as a recommendation
when there's a superior method available.