[arch-releng] 2010.10.4.05 Wireless Discussion suggestions

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 19:15:43 CEST 2010

Thomas Bachler wrote:
> > I primarily use Chris Brannons TalkingArch CD
>
> I know I encouraged him to release such a CD at one point, but I never
> knew he actually did it. Great to hear that this exists now.

Yeah, I've had a couple releases since then, but I don't advertise
enough, I guess.
My Arch stuff is all hosted on http://the-brannons.com.

> I am curious though: Is using the dialog-based systems like AIF even
> possible or convenient with a screenreader? I imagine it to be very
> difficult. Wouldn't it be easier to have a simpler interface that just
> asks questions and expects answers, rather than a dialog-based system?

The dialog interface works fine, more or less.  There are a couple of
things that one needs to do beforehand.
export DIALOGOPTS='--visit-items'
and use the "highlight tracking" mode of the screenreader.
So Speakup will speak whatever selection you have made with the arrow
keys.

AIF also has a "-i cli" option, which gives a command-line interface,
instead of the dialog-based interface.

-- Chris