[arch-releng] does anyone ever use the font selection dialog in "km"?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Aug 27 14:32:35 EDT 2010

Am Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:23:50 +0200
schrieb Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:39:16 +0300
> Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:14, Dieter Plaetinck
> > <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > > On the release media, with 'km' you can change your keyboard
> > > layout and font.
> > > I personally always skip the font selection.
> > > What's the point? Does anyone really use/need this?
> >
> > This is needed if you want be able to see non-latin characters you
> > can type with non-latin keyboard layout.
> >

> Hmm ok. maybe we could use a font by default that supports many
> different characters, then i could do font changing with a separate
> command because 99% of the people hits 'skip' anyway, but i'm gonna
> keep it simple and keep it as it is.

The font selection is of course needed, because there are different
keyboard layouts and different fonts in the world. I'm always using it.

99% of which people? How many people have you asked and where do they
live? I guess if you ask only American people all of them are skipping
the font selection. If you ask German people who need the German
umlauts or Russian or Ukrainian people, I bet 99% or 100% of them are
using it.

It would be better and not less KISS to keep the font selection in km.
In fact it would be less KISS if you would remove it.

Heiko