[arch-releng] Support mobile broadband with wvdial

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Wed Dec 8 01:13:45 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Ray Rashif <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I refer to this:
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2010-June/014388.html
>
> Other (desktop) distributions can skip wvdial on their installers
> because they have (1) a desktop environment by default and as such (2)
> some sort of GUI network management front-end that can handle most
> types of connections, including mobile broadband [1]. However, we are
> leaving out those users.

is there a way to offer "support packs" so to speak?  for instance, we
could have the base image, then a series of optional images that would
provide more options for those that need it.  rather than always
adding to [core], the packs would be in a repo called, say, [install].

note: this question not because of or in spite of your need in
particular; just trying to see if there is a generic way we can handle
the more exotic requirements of installation (a one time thing*), vs.
the requirements once the system is running.  installation is expected
to handle everything from everybody, yet only some fraction is needed
for any single install.

something like:

# dd if=base.img of=/dev/usb
# dd if=dial.img of=/dev/usb seek=<XYZ>

is that possible (probably not that simple tho im guessing :-)?  i
would also expect that many people are able to using cheap 1-8GB flash
drive nowadays anyway, maybe we should consider some options for those
that don't burn discs (when will we ever drop CDs?  i never liked them
from day 1)... seriously, i just got a 8GB for $12 the other day...
maybe we should do a survey or something.

C Anthony