[arch-releng] Support mobile broadband with wvdial

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 22:43:32 EST 2010

On Wed 08 Dec 2010 13:24 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 08.12.2010 13:08, schrieb Loui Chang:
> > I agree, but couldn't wvdial be used until someone implements it
> > properly with netcfg?
>
> As I said, wvdial does not simplify the process in any way, compared to
> pppd and chat. In both cases you need to create equally obscure
> configuration files with non-intuitive options. I found wvdial to be
> even more confusing than pppd.

When I used dialup years ago I honestly tried to connect the pure ppp
route, but I couldn't figure it out. wvdial actually worked simply
without an complicated configuration. As wvdial is implemented by a
Canadian group and I was connecting to a Canadian ISP, that might
explain why it worked without a hitch for me.

If it does only work well for a select few, then I agree that it
shouldn't be included in the install.