[arch-releng] how many/which non-base packages do you select during installation?

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at alaux.net
Sun Dec 19 16:38:04 EST 2010

On 19 December 2010 18:54, Yaro Kasear <yaro at marupa.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 18:51 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > When I install arch, I don't really bother
> > reviewing the package list to enable packages I want; I just install
> > the system using the base group and install extra packages when I need
> > them.
> > With maybe the exception of openssh, I have noticed i always need that
> > one right away anayway.
> > Out of curiosity: do you guys also have this kind of approach, or do
> > you actually take the time to review the package selection dialog? why?
> > which packages do you usually choose right away?
> >
> > Dieter
>
> I usually just select base-devel and am done with it.

I usually just install the base group as well. Openssh, zsh, screen
may follow if this is a server installation. Or if it's supposed to be
a desktop one I go with xorg, drivers and DE but I never go through
reading package list. Too lazy? Also as everything will be pulled down
as dependencies I get the feeling only necessary packages are
installed and nothing more :).

--
Guillaume