[arch-releng] new testbuilds

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Dec 20 05:25:52 EST 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 02:21:53 +0100
Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:

> On 19.12.2010 19:20, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 00:31:54 +0100
> > Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> >
> >> After a short and fairly standard test with netinstall-dual in a
> >> virtualbox, trying to install x86_64 I was presented with a
> >> "OPERATING SYSTEM MISSING" message. Apparently grub hasn't been
> >> installed? I set up /boot (ext2) and / (ext4) as well as swap. I
> >> installed base and base-devel and left the rest of the
> >> configuration fairly untouched.
> >>
> >> I don't have time to investigate further. This was just a heads-up.
> >>
> >> -- Sven-Hendrik
> > Thanks for the feedback, though this is virtually useless to me if I
> > don't know whether you performed the grub installation and whether
> > it said something like 'grub installed' or 'grub install failed'.
> > and do you get this error when booting the installed system (without
> > the iso being loaded in the virtual cd drive?)
> >
> > Dieter
> >
> Well grub said it was installed successfully. I now did it again and
> selected the first entry which actually worked and the system booted.
> I also don't think the selection is supposed to look like this:
> http://i.imgur.com/G8BJ4.png
>
> Probably a bug. Or I just can't make sense from that selection.

the selection is messed up, indeed.
do me a favour
and:
install the libui-sh and aif packages from
http://build.archlinux.org/repos/releng-any/
then install curl,
then retry the install, making sure aif runs with debugging and logging
enabled (add the -d and -l flags to the command in /arch/setup)
if you hit the same bug, run aif-report-issues.sh
this will submit all aif's temporary and logfiles to a pastebin, report
the bug on the bugtracker and give me the report url provided to you by
the script.

as for your first problem, if you install grub anywhere else
then /dev/sda or maybe /dev/sda1 it won't work. since your selection
does not include /dev/sda1, any selection other then /dev/sda will
cause problems.