[arch-releng] A TODO draft for next installation media.

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Feb 5 19:21:48 EST 2010

On 02/05/2010 06:01 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:50:17 -0300
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar>  wrote:
>

>> Hello
>>
>> I am writing a kind of draft of things that I think that should be
>> kept in mind for the next release:
>>
>> * Release archiso (2010.02) with the current [core],  the previous
>> intent was for 2009.12. (I guess this will be the last release with
>> mkinitcpio based on klibc)
>> * Merge the all pending changes to archiso from Svenstaro [#1]
>> * Merge the all pending changes to archiso from me [#2]
>> * Make an updated aif package with latest fixes.
>> * Make all four hybrid ISO images core-{i686,x86_64} and
>> net-{i686,x86_64} (images for testing)
>> * Update the very very old "archiso" package in extra at this point.
>> * ISOs should be uploaded after KDE SC 4.4 hits extra to avoid mirror
>> issues.
>> * Any other things? Please add it.

* Update the archiso wiki for new scheme.
>> I recently builded an "archiso-2010.02" on i686 without any issues,
>> boot fine on KVM in both modes (as disk and as cdrom).
>> When all this is done, a branch ""kill-klibc"" can be created in
>> archiso, for working with new mkinitcpio 0.6. (I made some testings
>> here, with a trivial patch [#3] [#4]).
>> Also a dual-arch ISO can be started for next archiso release.
>>

>> All comments are welcomed. Good luck!
>>

>> [#1] http://github.com/Svenstaro/archiso-lglive
>> [#2] http://github.com/djgera/archiso/tree/djgera
>> [#3]
>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2010-February/000797.html
>> [#4] http://github.com/djgera/archiso/tree/experimental
>>

> Thanks for following up.
> note that the new images will be isolinux based. not grub.
> i don't have much spare time anymore lately so i've been slacking on
> this stuff.  luckily a new release should now be much less work then it
> was before.
> I would like to switch to a more iterative scheme where we continuously
> build new "testing" isos (ie a weekly or daily crontab) and recommend
> users to try them out. and every once in a while, we could support a
> specific version of the iso.

Ok
> Gerhard and I have already setup a build environment on sigurd, so all
> i need to do -i think- is update the chroot and install the latest
> archiso from git. or should i wait a bit for all patches being
> integrated in archiso git? and get the iso's publicly available. (we
> discussed this a few times (mirrors et al) but i forgot the outcome)
> note: i'm not interested in investing my time in archiso internals, i
> know how to use it to build isos but for making it work I rely on
> patches from you guys (actually on Aaron, as only he can merge them in
> afaik).

Yes pending patches should be applied, otherwise won't work. (Adding CC
to Aaron)
> and i need to merge in some patches for aif (such as those from thomas,
> but others also) and do a new aif release.

OK
> once new iso's are built i expect the community to (also) test them.
> Gerhard and I have done a huge amount of test installations the
> previous times and I don't want to go through that again.

I think at least archiso issues are covered, this is was tested during
this time. Since switched to a new scheme (syslinux-hybrid) more
feedback will come for people.
About AIF, I didn't any type of test.
> Dieter

Thanks for the feedback ;)