[arch-releng] automated iso builds

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Feb 10 14:49:18 EST 2010

On 02/10/2010 09:35 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:58:14 -0300
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar>  wrote:
>

>> Good!, the only problem for doing automatic builds is that in
>> _random_ cases squashfs image of "overlay" is created corrupted (from
>> the same data) :(
>> I experimented this many times, and the way to test if all is good
>> is: or doing a boot, or mounting the squashfs image on read some
>> files. I can remember that also tested if the problem persiste with
>> mksquashfs -processors 1 but the problem still persist.
>>
> that's odd. can you investigate? maybe this is a bug in the squashfs
> tools?
> in the worst case scenario i add a bit of code to the buildscripts that
> mounts the image and tests it.

I can remember an email from GerBra, which these errors [#1]. But this
is unrelated to errors messages about ioctl.
The bug is on mksqashfs. I will look how can report it to devs ;)
The bad image is created with lots of \x00 just after the header.

On mksquashfs the error is detected, but the program always return 0,
the only difference is you can see this message:
Lseek on destination failed because Bad file descriptor
or:
Write failed because Bad file descriptor
Write on destination failed because Bad file descriptor

mksquashfs work/overlay lolcat.sqfs -noappend

adding one file inside (about ~100k), I can not reproduce the error. (I
tried with different block sizes but is the same)

>> I tested the image and does not boot. Seems that you have an old
>> enviroment, the initramfs is created with new archiso* hooks but is
>> with mkinitcpio-0.5....
>>

> Hmm. I `pacman -Syu`'d the chroot in which this takes place, so it has
> the latest updates. should i get the mkinitcpio 0.5.99.4-1 from testing?

Rare, the steps I done (I ran just now, with latest mkinitcpio-0.5.99.5-1):

mkarchroot /tmp/pichicho base (without [testing] enabled, to avoid file
conflicts between repos)
mkarchroot -r bash /tmp/pichicho
# enable [testing] on pacman.conf and enable some mirror in mirrorlist
pacman -Syu # now pacman will prompt about replaces klibc-*
pacman -S git squashfs-tools syslinux devtools cdrkit make
cd /tmp
git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git
cd archiso/archiso
make install
cd ../configs/syslinux-iso/
make net-iso #and wait < 3 minutes.