[arch-releng] dual arch CDs [was: A TODO draft for next installation media]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 18 18:34:57 EST 2010

Am 18.02.2010 21:04, schrieb Dan McGee:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> That would leave us with:
>> - kernel x86_64
>> - initrd x86_64
>> - kernel i686
>> - initrd i686
>> - packages core-any
>> - packages core-i686
>> - packages core-x86_64
>> - squashfs base system i686
>> - maybe overlay-any
>
> All 3 of the "packages" things can go in one big directory anyway- the
> filenames are all unique since we put the architecture in the package
> filenames. That would make the mounting process a lot less complex as
> nothing would need to change between what kernel, processor, etc. you
> are booting up on or want to install. Only the installer would care.

I would create all those as squashfs images. After that, we can put them
together for different ISOs, like core-i686, core-x86_64, core-any,
netinstall-i686, netinstall-x86_64 - all by just modifying the isomounts
file and (not) putting the appropriate squashfs images to the disc, no
other remastering necessary.