[arch-releng] dual arch CDs [was: A TODO draft for next installation media]

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Fri Feb 19 03:23:06 EST 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 00:34:57 +0100
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am 18.02.2010 21:04, schrieb Dan McGee:
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Thomas Bächler
> > <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >> That would leave us with:
> >> - kernel x86_64
> >> - initrd x86_64
> >> - kernel i686
> >> - initrd i686
> >> - packages core-any
> >> - packages core-i686
> >> - packages core-x86_64
> >> - squashfs base system i686
> >> - maybe overlay-any
> >
> > All 3 of the "packages" things can go in one big directory anyway-
> > the filenames are all unique since we put the architecture in the
> > package filenames. That would make the mounting process a lot less
> > complex as nothing would need to change between what kernel,
> > processor, etc. you are booting up on or want to install. Only the
> > installer would care.
>
> I would create all those as squashfs images. After that, we can put
> them together for different ISOs, like core-i686, core-x86_64,
> core-any, netinstall-i686, netinstall-x86_64 - all by just modifying
> the isomounts file and (not) putting the appropriate squashfs images
> to the disc, no other remastering necessary.

hmm. you lost me. why would we want this? isn't the point of creating
dual arch images that you do not need separate arch-specific iso's
anymore?

also, to solve the ".db.tar.gz" overlap problem, isn't it possible with
aufs to mount multiple folders over each other and define a preference
in case filenames collide so that you get the correct .db.tar.gz?