[arch-releng] [arch-dev-public] LTS install ISOs (was: makechrootpkg without aufs2)

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Jan 24 07:28:12 EST 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:07:28 +0200
Ionut Biru <biru.ionut at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/24/2010 09:55 AM, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > Hmmm. LTS install ISOs is an interesting idea, but not sure how
> > people feel about that. I mean, the kernel for the install ISO is
> > just the running kernel. You can still install the LTS kernel from
> > a non-LTS ISO.
> >
> > Does anyone have a strong opinion on this?
>
> i don't see any reason to have that.

what's the purpose of the LTS kernel again? it's basically to make
kernel update cycles of your system longer, right? so instead of
getting a new major version every 3 months, you jump from LTS to LTS.

I can see why some people want that on their installed box [and hence
the possibility to install it using any installation medium].

our goal with the installation media (we're failing at that goal
right now), is to have a set of media for each new kernel release. why?
optimal hardware support. so the question is simple: do LTS kernels get
driver updates like the normal kernels do? but even if they do, they
probably run behind on filesystems support and such.

so i do not see any advantages for installation media running an LTS
kernel.