[arch-releng] 2010.03 TODO for installation media.

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Mar 5 16:10:31 EST 2010

On 03/05/2010 05:04 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> On 03.03.2010 00:49, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>
>> * Merge pending changes to archiso from me repo [#1]
>>    @ archiso2dual tool
>>    @ copytoram= option again :)
>>    @ misc changes
>>
>> * Make an updated AIF package with latest fixes.
>>
>> * TAG archiso.git with "2010.03-1"
>>
>> * Update the very^N old archiso package in [extra] to "2010.03-1"
>>
>> * Release archiso (2010.03) with the current [core]
>>    @ With current Linux 2.6.32.9. (for now)
>>    @ With future Linux 2.6.33 (if moved)
>>
>> * Take a decision about what isos should be available for download:
>>    @ core-dual + netinstall-dual
>>    @ core-dual + netinstall-i686($) + netinstall-x86_64($)
>>     %  ($) advantage : fit on 200MB mini-cd :)
>>    @ all isos or some other combination.
>>    @@ These are the sizes: (*-dual.iso are generated by archiso2dual -T
>> full)
>>     % 652M core-dual | 363M core-i686 | 385M core-x86_64
>>     % 220M net-dual  | 153M net-i686  | 163M net-x86_64
>>
>> * Update wiki articles about installation and archiso.
>>

>> All comments are welcomed. Good luck!
>>

>> [#1] http://github.com/djgera/archiso/tree/djgera
>>

> I say go for core-dual + netinstall-dual. It makes most sense to me and
> would be awesome for what I usually use it for (jumpstart some old
> computers that could do i686 at best but also install x86_64 on my
> machines). We would be able to cut the netinstall-dual under 200M with
> kernel 2.6.34 as we'll get squashfs lzma support.

G r e a t ! I had not heard about this inclusion :)
> I'd also like to say that somehow I'm not comfortable with your
> archiso2dual script. It is a whole mkarchiso script which violates my
> mind model of Don't-Repeat-Yourself.
Yes. Well my first intent was modifiying mkarchiso/Makefile, but really
was a bit complicated.
Imagine this, you need two (or at least one) chroot, under your x86_64
machine. But suppose the case of doing the same, two chroots:

- In the Makefile need to create a 64 bit chroot enter to it, configure
(for example mirrors) and execute some commands (just before make the
iso), and exit from it.
- This should be done other time for 32 bit, and entering with linux32
wrapper.
- Finally we have to merge the two worlds, and is not flexible.
Additionally you can add the feature of split-out /usr/share (common for
both arches) and /lib/modules (needed when boot x86_64 kernel in i686
userspace)

When I had to do all that, among other complications, which I found on
the road, had an abortion. So I decided to make things very simple
allowing a degree of flexibility.

> Any chance this could just be a
> shell script called by the Makefile? That way, it would be config
> specific (as it should) instead of being available system wide.

Patches welcomed :) FS#10753 is still open for new ideas. This is just
one :)

I few days I can't continue with helping in community. :(
> Good work with the TODO and the ISOs :).

Thanks, and thanks for the feedback.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar