[arch-releng] isohybrid -offset 1, can't mount partitions inside live env

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Mar 15 16:41:47 CET 2010

Hello,

There is another issue with offset 1. This does not happen with offset 0.

My scenario:
* 2G USB key
* isohybrid -offset 1
* another primary partition created (also is the same issue happens with a logical part instead)

# mount /dev/sdc2 /home/hola
mount: /dev/sdc2 already mounted or /home/hola busy

** strace shows:
mount("/dev/sdc2", "/home/hola/", "ext2", MS_MGC_VAL, NULL) = -1 EBUSY (Device or resource busy)

# mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdc2
mke2fs 1.41.10 (10-Feb-2009)
/dev/sdc2 is apparently in use by the system; will not make a filesystem here!

** strace shows:
open("/dev/sdc2", O_RDONLY|O_EXCL)      = -1 EBUSY (Device or resource busy)

My conclusion is, isohybrid mode is a great hack!. But of course, carries some inevitable issues.

The big dichotomy:
* offset 1:
 + allows some partitions programs works without issues. (at least I know about parted issue)
 - Can not use extra partitions created in the medium.
 - Can not use /dev/disk/by-label/ skip archiso_early.

* offset 0:
 - Cause issues with some partitions programs.
 + Can use extra partitions.
 + Can use "by-label" (under condition that all partitions must have a LABEL)

Good luck!

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar