[arch-releng] Help with hybrid ISOs and making extra partitions

Jim Pryor lists+arch-releng at jimpryor.net
Mon Mar 22 19:38:43 CET 2010

Success.

Here's what I did:

    * in archiso2dual, change
            isohybrid -offset 1 "${imagename}"
    to:
            isohybrid "${imagename}"

    * mastered my own i686 and x86_64 ISOs, combined them into dual ISO
    with:
            sudo archiso2dual -T full -3 myarch-2010.03.22-i686.iso -6 \
            myarch-2010.03.22-x86_64.iso -o myarch-2010.03.22-dual.iso  -y

    * wrote to my USB key (/dev/sdc) using:
            sudo dd if=iso-mine/myarch-2010.03.22-dual.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=8M

    * created a second partition, starting with
            sudo fdisk /dev/sdc
fdisk turns out to be not very hard, especially if one has used cfdisk. Googling
"fdisk howto" may help.

    * create filesystem on second partition, with a label:
            sudo mkdosfs -F32 -nmylabel /dev/sdc2

At this point, both /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2 are mountable. Plus I can
boot from the USB key and login successfully. (When testing, don't just
check for bootability, see whether you can get all the way to a login
prompt.) I can also mount /dev/sdc2 when I've booted from /dev/sdc1.

So it looks like everything is now working properly...

Still, I wouldn't mind getting some more clarification about the
offset=1 vs offset=0, and the limits/snags of using hybrid ISOs. I get
the impression these are still something of a moving target.

--
Jim Pryor
profjim at jimpryor.net