[arch-releng] LVM Installation Issues

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at verizon.net
Tue May 11 13:13:42 CEST 2010

On 05/11/2010 04:49 AM, Lukas Grässlin wrote:
> * It would be very very nice if I could say when creating a logical
> volume: "Take all the free space in the volumegroup" (aka -l100%FREE)

Yes, I've thought about the 100%FREE before, so +1

> At the current state I wouldn't use the Installers capability to create
> a LVM because it's a bit glitchy.
>
> The same is true of the capability of creating dm-crypt volumes. Till
> now I was not able to set up a working scenario with LVM atop of
> dm-crypt. The Installers also fails with some errors. (I don't have more
> information about this yet because it's a bit longer ago. I will retest it)

I've done a number of lvm2/luks setups. On the luks end, are you setting your
keysize too low? For aes-xts-plain, the key size can only be 256 or 512, so if
you set it to 128 you'll have a problem.

The other thing I've wound up doing every time for it to work is to make sure I
use the same exact name for the encrypted disk and the vg. So typically I call
the dm-crypt parition "vg0" so it mounts to /dev/mapper/vg0

Matt