[arch-releng] final testing images

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri May 14 18:50:28 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Johan Dahlberg <jodahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> new images are done.
>> version: 2010.05.13
>>
>> these are the images I want to rename to an official 2010.05 release
>> after testing.
>>
>> http://build.archlinux.org/isos/Changelog
>> http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
>>
>> how should they be tested?
>>
>> for every file, that is:
>>
>> archlinux-2010.05.13-core-dual.iso
>> archlinux-2010.05.13-core-i686.iso
>> archlinux-2010.05.13-core-x86_64.iso
>> archlinux-2010.05.13-netinstall-dual.iso
>> archlinux-2010.05.13-netinstall-i686.iso
>> archlinux-2010.05.13-netinstall-x86_64.iso
>>
>> I want to get a report from someone that an installation went fine.
>> what kind of install doesn't really matter. manual, automatic, autoprepare, net/core whatever. this has been tested enough before, so any kind of install with each single image.
>>

>> On top of that, I want:
>> A) confirmation for virtio_pci and virtio_blk on the install ISO's
>> initramfs  http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19401?project=6
>> B) at least one installation performed from a usb stick, using any of the above images.
>>

>> So if you test: send a reply mentioning which file you tested, and optionally if you can confirm A/B
>>
>> thanks for you help,
>> Dieter
>>

> I just successfully installed arch64 from a usb stick, using
> archlinux-2010.05.13-core-dual.iso.
> Installed it with lvm on top of dmcrypt, without any problems.

Tested: archlinux-2010.05.13-core-i686.iso
Medium: USB
Victim: HP Mini 311 laptop, dual boot with Windows 7

Verdict- wow, this has gotten really smooth. Done in 20 minutes after
having not done an install in some time. Thanks for all the work
you've put into it.

Two notes:
* When trying to set up the system time, the whole machine hung for
like 45 seconds. Not sure what happened there but couldn't find any
bad output.
* Partition mapping could be a bit more useful. I had to page back and
forth between `cat /proc/partitions` and `parted -l` output to make
sure I didn't royally F things up. I'll see if I can turn this into a
feature request and maybe even a patch.

-Dan