[arch-releng] Opinions about adding lzo support to mkarchiso

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Sep 29 01:13:56 EDT 2010

  On 09/29/2010 01:28 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>  Hello
>
> Aaron, Dieter, Thomas: Next Linux 2.6.36 [#1] will support squashfs
> with lzo compression, and we need newer squashfs-tools 4.1 (officially
> supported) with lzo enabled (changes needed to PKGBUILD here [#2]).
>
> I added a parameter -c to mkarchiso that can select between gzip
> (default) and lzo. What do you think about adding lzo support to
> mkarchiso, this should be enabled by default? Or just keep mkarchiso
> with gzip as default then in "syslinux-iso" profile enable lzo.
>
> I did not make any tests at this moment I will wait for 2.6.36 package
> become ready.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> [#1]
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=79cb8ced7eef53856b5a877db0544acf52e00c80
> [#2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/20986

oops!, I was a bit confused, lzo is better in speed not with compression
ratio!. So I think should keep gzip be default. Maybe switch to lzma by
default when Linux support it. (squashfs-tools already support it but is
disabled by default)

Maybe can be a good idea to build squashfs-tools also with xz support so
will be prepared when lzma support become ready on Linux.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1