[arch-releng] giving archiso block devices more clear names

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Aug 9 11:45:09 EDT 2011

On 08/09/2011 10:09 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 09:24 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>> Hi,
>> to solve https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25425 in a robust and clear
>> way, I suggest to - in archiso - prefix all blockdevice filenames with
>> "archiso_".
>> (also, I'm more a fan of underscores then hyphens, in this case it
>> might not matter, but they are usually a bit more robust (like LVM
>> filenames and for variables in bash) so I stick to them for consistency)
>> I.e.
>> /dev/mapper/archiso_lib_modules
>> /dev/mapper/archiso_root_image
>> /dev/mapper/archiso_usr_share
>>
>> Dieter
>>
> Hola
>
> OK, to be consistent I will change *.sfs filenames s/-/_/ (all, not
> only that will be used with dm-snapshot) and in initramfs stage for
> dm-snapshot devices I will prefix with archiso_ for device nodes.

mmmm thinker better... to avoid confusion, prefix filenames can be
better otherwise will have:

(This also applies for usr-share and lib-modules)

filenames: root_image.fs.sfs
aitab: root_image
fstab /dev/mapper/archiso_root_image

Maybe much better is (what your get is what you see)

filenames: archiso_root_image.fs.sfs
aitab: archiso_root_image
fstab: /dev/mapper/archiso_root_image

Other solution, but can be confusing, is just assing the name
/dev/mapper/archiso_root_image to "root-image".

opinions?

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1