[arch-releng] updates to releng scripts for new dm_snapshot archiso

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Tue Aug 9 16:21:00 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

>> i know btrfs can be mounted multiple times but i
>> dont know about ext* (i put mine on ext4 ... i mean i WAS fixing a
>> btrfs problem after all :-).  i could possibly reach in thru
>> /proc/1/cwd but that's a bit hacky ...
>
> if you have other partitions just mount it.
>
> You can mount the same filesystem on differents locations without bind mounts. This is a VFS feature.

ah ok -- i knew i would be able to mount other partitions but i was
curious about the boot partition -- i didn't know the VFS layer was
handling this (multiple mounts same FS) ... maybe i thought it was a
btrfs feature as i vaguely remember trying to mount an FS multiple
times in the past and getting an "already mounted" type of error.
this must have changed or i was doing something odd and didn't realize
it ... who knows :-)  thanks, i'll try it out.

>> ... it would be super cool if there was a way to make updates
>> persistent, eg. an overlay file that existed on the remainder of the
>> original FS or something that the init process could detect (or a
>> passed param).  i *know* i did this with ubuntu at one time, but i
>> cant remember the tool that produced said USB image ...
>
> I will send some changes that cow files are stored on real device instead of tmpfs.
> I expect to be accepted. Not really useful for official images, but for custom images can get benefit from it.
>
> But for better support I am wating for next initscripts/mkinitcpio for clean shutdown.

nice ... i like these boot/recovery USBs but i tend to need/want
custom spins of certain <insert here> and i'm too lazy to spin my own
images every time i want to tweak something; i would find your
additions very useful.

--

C Anthony