[arch-releng] updates to releng scripts for new dm_snapshot archiso

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 9 18:09:03 EDT 2011

Am 09.08.2011 21:48, schrieb C Anthony Risinger:
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> Btw, with these ISOs, you can do this:
>> 1) Copy the /arch folder from any of the ISOs to the root of any USB
>> drive (stick must be vfat, ext2/3/4 or btrfs)
>> 2) Run 'extlinux -i $PATH_TO_USB/arch/boot/syslinux/'
>> 3) Run 'sed 's|ARCH_201108|filesystemlabeloftheusb|' -i
>> $PATH_TO_USB/arch/boot/syslinux/*.cfg
>> 4) Install MBR to the USB and mark the partition active
>>
>> After these steps, you have a bootable USB without overwriting your
>> whole USB with dd. Just did that to my USB drive again, so I have an
>> up-to-date Arch system on it.
>
> nice ... very cool!  tried this last night to fix a btrfs prob i was having.
>
> maybe it was obvious (i didn't spend much time investigating), but
> once inside, is there simple access to the boot partition?  IOW, if i
> put the /arch directory on a USB stick with a single partition, how
> can i get access to the rest of the partition/FS and it's free space?

Have a look at /bootmnt/. You need to run
 mount -o remount,rw /bootmnt
though to write to it - and I would recommend remounting read-only
before shutting down as well.

> would 2 partitions be the only clear way ATM?

Two partitions are actually bad. Right now, I use vfat for compatibility
with Windows machines - Windows is very easily confused with USB drives
with more than one partition.