[arch-releng] [RFC] one more step forward to become archiso as self-pxe-server...

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Dec 3 05:17:06 EST 2011

Am 03.12.2011 02:08, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
>> I don't see the point in adding FTP - HTTP is superior in any way. Other
>> than that: Our .sfs images are rather tiny, you will barely notice the
>> difference, so no objections from me.
>>
> OK, I will only add darkhttp. If HTTP works then also FTP will work from
> the point of view of the hook.

Indeed. My concerns with FTP again:
1) gPXE/iPXE do not support FTP as it seems (only HTTP).
2) In general, FTP is more problematic from the network point-of-view,
as it needs to open two connections.
3) HTTP is more stable than FTP from my experience.

> geek comment: maybe it just fit in the multiple of current ISO padding
> size :P

I prefer to remaster the ISO onto USB (copy /arch, install syslinux) or
netboot it over the internet. My concern therefore is the size of the
.sfs files, not the actual .iso.