[arch-releng] grub install not listing partitions

Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk
Fri Dec 16 09:19:51 EST 2011

2011/12/16 Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com>:
> I also want to point out the grub2 upstream does not recommend (but
> supports) installing grub2 to a partition.

But is that on a technical basis (like this fails 50% of the time) or
just a warning: ok, the feature is there, but its support is not a
priority. I never had any issue with grub on a partition, and if I
chose to use it, I accept this is my responsibility.

> I don't whether the same applies
> to grub-legacy. Syslinux by itself is simply installed to a partition with
> a small code in the MBR which chainloads the syslinux partition. Syslinux
> does not access files outside the partition in which it was instakked
> (exceot maybe when chainloading using chain.c32), so ideally grub-legacy in
> a partition can be replaced by syslinux (minus the MBR code). Users who
> want a bootloader that can access (directly) files from multiple partitions
> like grub-legacy does should go for grub2 as syslinux does not support that.
>
> Regards.
>
> Keshav

The problem is that you cannot chainload syslinux from grub2, as far
as I could read on forum discussions this year. So if I have grub2 in
the MBR (and for some reason cannot change it), then syslinux is not
useable.

Eric