[arch-releng] Playing with unionfs-fuse (was: Status of AUFS2.1)

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Jan 17 22:18:39 EST 2011

On 01/17/2011 07:18 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 17.01.2011 20:40, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>> Hi guys,
>> i'm getting tired of building aufs2 into the standard kernel,
>> there are no stable snapshots, everytime you need grab patches and at the
>> moment the utils don't even build without any real reason.
>> Can we ditch aufs2 support?
>> Does archiso really need this filesystem?
>>
>> Thanks for clarification, i would be happy if we can remove this.
> We need a unioning file system. But I don't we think we actually need
> the utils. As far as I know, aufs is the most feature-complete and
> stable unioning file system. We could maintain an extra kernel only for
> the live CD if that is easier.

I am currently playing with unionfs-fuse and archiso, so no need for
extra modules.

Two issues:
1) There is no "append" feature like with aufs, so all branchs should be
mounted in one step.
2) Since is an userspace solution and there is no support for "omit_pid"
[#1] in initscripts at the time, shutdown and reboot fails.

Notes:
1) I never used it so I do not know how stable is.
2) No patches at this moment I just experimenting from ramfs# command line.

[#1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10536

PS: I am back from vacation :)

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi