[arch-releng] ArchWiki: merge Official and Beginners' Guides? (or change titles)

Dario Giovannetti dariogiova at alice.it
Mon Jun 13 12:09:26 EDT 2011

This discussion was started in
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide#Change_titles.3F_Official_vs_Beginners.27_Guide_.28formerly_.22Merge_with_Beginners.27_Guide.3F.22.29

What do you think of merging the Beginners' Guide and the Official Arch
Linux Install Guide into a unified Installation Guide?
In my opinion having 2 separate installation guides on the wiki only
creates confusion for beginners who wonder why they are directed to an
"unofficial" guide, and is of no help for experienced users.
This gets reinforced by the fact that the Official Guide is rarely
maintained, and almost if not all of its content is already duplicated
in the Beginners' Guide.
Also, wiki users tend to report bugs in the Official Guide in its talk
page, instead of posting to the releng team.
I would then link the guide in git from the new unified article.

In alternative to all this, I'd propose to change the titles of the two
guides to something like "Installation Tutorial" (or Guide) in place of
the Beginners', and "Quick installation reference" (or Guide, or Notes)
in place of the Official.

Dario