[arch-releng] Call for test: archiso with dm-snapshot

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 14 04:39:42 EDT 2011

Am 14.06.2011 06:51, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
> While in the union mount approach, if "tmpfs" (rw_branch) is full a
> ENOSPC is reported, and nothing more. In this case, if in the device
> where the "cow" file reside is full, and you write to the dev-mapper,
> the system will crash, no ENOSPC is reported. OK?

When a snapshot device becomes full, it "disappears". This means that
reading and writing will fail (probably with EACCESS). As reading fails,
your system crashes.

> * Directory scheme or core-iso.
>
> ??? arch
> ?   ??? aitab
> ?   ??? any
> ?   ?   ??? core-any-pkgs.sfs
> ?   ?   ??? usr-share.fs.sfs
> ?   ??? boot
> ?   ?   ??? i686
> ?   ?   ?   ??? archiso.img
> ?   ?   ?   ??? vmlinuz26
> ?   ?   ??? memtest
> ?   ?   ??? memtest.COPYING
> ?   ??? i686
> ?       ??? core-pkgs.sfs
> ?       ??? lib-modules.fs.sfs
> ?       ??? root-image.fs.sfs
> ??? syslinux
>     ??? boot.cat
>     ??? *.com
>     ??? *.c32
>     ??? *.0
>     ??? hdt
>     ?   ??? modalias.gz
>     ?   ??? pciids.gz
>     ??? isolinux.bin
>     ??? memdisk
>     ??? splash.png
>     ??? syslinux.cfg

I sent you incomplete work to move everything to /arch once. I want to
include this, but never had the time to finish it.

Basically, everything is moved to /arch/boot/syslinux instead of
/syslinux. The /syslinux folder would only contain boot.cat,
isolinux.bin and a small syslinux.cfg, that only launches

CONFIG /arch/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
APPEND /arch/boot/syslinux/

This 'cd's to /arch/boot/syslinux. This will make it easier to produce
scripts that create a live USB by copying /arch to a flash drive, as
/arch is self-contained and no config files need to be adjusted. Just
copy /arch, adjust archisolabel and install syslinux into
/arch/boot/syslinux/.

If you have any more time for this, I would appreciate if you would take
the work out of my hands.