[arch-releng] Install experience with v2011-02-25 - continued

Vincent Van Houtte vvh at synergylaw.be
Wed Mar 2 09:08:27 EST 2011

Hello,

> > After failing miserably for several hours, I found out that:
> >
> > > aif showed all three times the error 'process_filesystem error': error
> > > creating filesystem lvm-pv on /dev/sda
> >
> > This is due to not having made a partition on the device before making
> > it an lvm-pv.
>
> yeah, if you want to make a partition an lvm-pv, the partition should
> obviously exist first.

You are obviously right, but I think it should be made more clear, maybe by
only showing available partitions instead of devices in that stage of the
install process. For me it was my first experience with LVM, and I didn't
know LVM works on top of partitions instead of devices (which, I know, is my
fault entirely).

Vincent